- Unspecified Dates: Warren Publishing sues the Lyons Partnership for the use of I Love You (WP published Piggyback Songs and in turn owned the song). Lyons is unable to use the song again until the lawsuit ends in December. Barney & Friends begins airing outside the United States and Canada. Lyons sues Ted Giannnoulas (The Sketch Comedy Chicken) for alleged violations on Barney from parodies.
- January 24: Let's Pretend with Barney is released to malls.
- March 5: Barney Live! In New York City begins performances at Radio City Music Hall and plays there until March 13. All shows have sold out within the first 30 minutes of ticket sales.
- April 24: Imagination Island airs on NBC.
- April 27: Barney's Alphabet Zoo is released to malls.
- May 24: Barney Bonus 2 Pack: Barney's Birthday and Home Sweet Homes is released to malls.
- August 3: Barney Live! In New York City is released to malls.
- August 23: Barney's Favorites Vol. 2 is released to malls.
- October 4: Barney's Imagination Island is released to malls.
- November: Season 3 begins production.
- November 24: Barney makes his debut in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
- December 4: Barney Celebrates Children airs on PBS
- Phoebe becomes a full-time cast member of Barney and Friends
- Although no new episodes aired during this year, it was considered by barneyonline.com to be the height of Barney's popularity.